Aurora 15m

High performanced Pansh DEPOWER Kite Aurora.

Moderator: VACANT

Aurora 15m

Postby 12R2 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:42 pm

So, got my Aurora a couple of weeks back but bad weather\ no time have conspired to stop me setting it up until this last weekend...

The material is like the Flux's- super slippy, kinda smelled a bit wierd but that didn't stick around after the first flight. The deflate zips were pretty hard to find, very small and on the bridle side
I put it on a homemade bar, based around a Naish 60cm bar, the same set up that I use for my Blaze IIs. The front lines needed to be about 8-10cm longer than for the blaze, a few others have mentioned this too so it seems to be the standard factory set up. I didn't set up the 5th line, just a rear line flag out and landing strap.
Saturday the wind was low, around 5 knots gusting to 10 at maximum, so the bottom end of it's rating but having spread the wing out and plumped it up a bit it took off perfectly. It took a couple of passes to inflate fully, as is to be expected, and as soon as it had it just developed bags of power. I got some nice scuds and a few little jumps in the gusts. I had a couple of issues with it overflying then doing forward rolls over itself leading to some pretty interesting tangles but I think that was mainly to do with the low wind and pilot error!
Sunday things picked up a bit, 7 knots gusting to 12 or 13. The other half has been asking me to put a longer bar together for her for some time now so having had it fly so well on the 60cm bar I decided to try her system with it, a 45cm Flysurf bar again with a load of home made parts. I expected it to be too slow with the shorter bar but was suprised to find it was better, I flew it on the 60cm bar as well so not just to do with the higher wind speed.
Both days when I brought the kite down it stayed inflated for loads of time, landing it with the landing strap left it standing on it's trailing edge in a 1.5m high wall. No water around to try a relaunch off it but I think it looks good for it to hold air long enough for that.

Packing up was a bit of a hassle- the small deflate zips don't let the air out too efficiently as you fold the wing, one big one on the back would have been easier to use but it's a small thing really.

Overall it's a beast of a kite, I only got to static fly it on either day so can't wait to get it out with a board but the jumps I was getting were awesome, loads of lift and all the float you could want. The low end of it's wind range I had no problem landing it on the strap but I am thinking of rigging the 5th line before I go in any stronger winds, just in case!

(Sorry for no pics or video, the camera got left at home... I'll get some next time :D )
12R2

Re: Aurora 15m

Postby papalazaro » Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:22 pm

Good write up doode not flown my 15m yet but sounds just as good as the 8m there should be a dump flap on the te of the kite in the middle that is what i use to deflate my 8m works better than the zips
papalazaro
Individual Testing Pilots & Moderators

Postby KnOeFz » Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:03 am

Great to finally read some positive Aurora reviews.
Blaze II 12.0 - Blaze II 7.0 - Flux 5.0 LE - Ace 3.5 - Rhombus 1.2
Takoon depower bar - Scrub Lion Canyon 2 flyboard
KnOeFz

Postby necro777 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:53 pm

Hi Great review and when I pack my aurora away I have a piece of Velcro to stop the blow out valve from closing and I don't use the zips at all as they don't seem that strong and don't want to risk Breaking them.
necro777

Postby 12R2 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:24 pm

That's a great idea, cheers! I'd tried using the velcro but it did keep closing up again... obvious solution when you think about it :roll:
12R2

Postby nanonl » Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:27 pm

Second test for me in light wind less than 6 knot.

http://youtu.be/jPhmlHzELYM

In my case a preferd test and use than PYMP MY RIDE.So i just use the factory preset.

But some français are trying to increase the bridle map.The first easy way is to move the Z on the Y for 6 cm.
By the way...wait and see if they find a best bridle map as they says. I'll post it here.
nanonl

Postby windlord » Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:41 pm

Hi all,
Just got my Aurora 15m2 with custom colours (the reverse of the standard, a great big ominous black bird of prey with yellow wingtips).

It flew right out of the bag with minimal setup.
- The first tries were with my 1 meter bar and 45m lines an a butt line to avoid sliding. Yikes, will never do that again hehehe.
- Then we tried with 15m lines on a short Cabrinha bar (too short, have to yank on a brake to turn)
- The AR is very high so the chord is short. So, this kite is very AoA sensitive and line length is important. A few tweaks were required, but very minor.
- You can launch half inflated and woomph, she fills out real fast. Nice. Can relaunch in just about any which way, have not found a bad position so far.
- Turns really nice, like on a dime, though you have to watch for a bit tip collapse which like with all kites, needs a bit getting used to. But the tip s immediately fills back out again, boink.

The material is nice and stiff (no strech polyester) with a waterproof coating you could coat T-Fal frypans with (though you eggs might smell a bit hehehe)
The conditions were downright miserable, rain, freezing rain, sleet, snow, fog. NOTHING stuck to the fabric. NOTHING.
So the kite never took on any weight. Everyone else was grounded, the foils, the inflatables, you name it. They all went home.
I should have chosen PINK Wingtips because the AuWoWa made me think of that Energizer Wabbit that just never dies.

Here is a clip. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqE29tv4fE8 Yes! I know, I know, I know. That was *&?%$## stooopid (*ouch* kicking myself) No need to tell me!
Seriously, be careful folks. Big birds have big sharp beaks and nasty claws and they like people with worms for brains like me. Sail safe!

WILL THERE BE AN AURORA FORUM ???
Paul,
St-Augustin (Quebec City), Canada
windlord

Postby windlord » Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:30 am

We found that the kite flies better with the brake lines shortened a bit. The response is a bit better. Someone also wrote to me confirming this.

On the other hand, I noticed how the kite turns on a dime with none brake pulled. This tells me that a push/pull on the flying lines would be really effective.
I also like the ability to really slack off on AoA for quick recovery and fast acceleration. As long as the kite doesn't nose dive (no signs of that yet), this would be great.

So, I am making a short bar with sheaves so that the flying lines cross and go to the bar ends, then go internally to the center.
I think that this will really twist the 15m2 and make it turn on a dime because both the brakes and flying lines are used for control.
Paul,
windlord

Postby Fanny » Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:29 am

Thansk to windlord's video link ;)
Fanny

Postby windlord » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:36 pm

Hi all,

I am starting to really like this Aurora hehehe. Getting to know it, knees shaking less ;-)

Here is a clip of my tests Sunday 2012-12-16.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o474Ttn ... KMPmXub6yA

The winds were light, out of the east, 8-12kmph, then 10-15kmph. The sun was out and it was not too cold, so I could play around with lines, settings and such.

The AURORA must be flown with the 5th line (part of the load bearing bridle system IMHO) and brake lines slightly taught, otherwise it will lack responsiveness and tend to overfly, then fall back and repower (you won't like that hehehe). If well inflated, it will not dive though some here with the 8m2 are complaining about that. Not me, not at all.

The shoulders can collapse when turning hard by the window's edge, but hey, easy folks. It is a high AR kite, so it is prone to nasty bowties, careful! Well set, this should no be a problem.

I don't know who did the AURORA graphics but "chapeau" (hats off)! It's really colourful. I would love a hawaiian shirt like that. Santa Claus, did you hear that?
Paul,
windlord

Postby rzayan » Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:21 pm

Hello Windlord,

Thank you for sharing Aurora nice videos,
What is the type of the control bar you are using

Regards
rzayan

Postby windlord » Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:30 pm

Hi RZAYAN,

Control bar? That one is DYI, 90cm for flying big kites (30 foot spans) and on long lines (45m). Was for testing etc...but turns out to be my everyday bar, such a chameleon.
When I settle on what works best, I generally make a custom lines with bar or handles for each kite for dirt. I can get nice bright orange climax spectra cheap.

The AURORA has taught me that my bar was not up to parr, not at all. I ran into some pretty humbling problems real fast that needed correction:
1. The QR would not release in some situations or would fall apart (rope loop with pin arrangement, like a conventional chicken loop)
- First went to a ball stop and clevis pin with a ring, but that was unreliable. The pin tip started eating at the rope and the pin would fall out at the wrong time (GGGggrrrrr)
- So I made a new one, a nice solid delrin block. Now it is truly safe, secure, tested it under full load, releases like a charm.
- The ring fall out of the harness all the time, so I made a more secure releasable velcro ring strap. But finally opted for a permanent string that keeps the ring in the harness all the time.
2. The flying lines relative to the brakes at the bar were too long
- Modified for the Aurora, shorter brakes. NOTE: If your Aurora is unresponsive, it is because your brakes are slack! Taught, should spin on a dime, though the 90cm bar must help ;-)
- Corrected setup for other kites. Works well.
3. Made the lines modular (15m + 25m = 45m).
- 45m was bad enough, but with 5 lines it is HELL ON EARTH !!! 25m much more manageable to walk out the twists.
- 45m is really nice with my Blaze2s, can get nice and high above the turbulence, lots of room to work the kite.
- 45m on Auwowa is vewy skawy. Aurora is something else, much too powerful and fast. You need a small window to limit the kite and not to make a widow.
- 15m is too short to work a bigh kite like this, but 25m on the 15m2 Aurora is really sweet.
- 45m too long for smaller kites. My ADAM 3.5 or Flux 4.7m will not fly on long lines, too much brake sag. Blaze2-5m2 OK, limit, better on 25m lines.
4. Added an Ozone style kill strap. Handy cause you can grab both with one hand, but can twist and tangle. May go to loops in the end.
5. The depower control is a std aluminium cleat on the chicken loop line.
- I have the rope from the chicken loop running through the cleat screw holes, around the flying line ring and back to the cleat for adjustment. Extremely simple and double variable.
- I have a ball stop at the end of the rope, but I am ditching that, tends to spin th rope around another exactly at the worst time. Will loop back simply, that way cannot spin around other ropes.
6. Modifyied the bar to make it easily convertable from 4-5 line. Made a handly 5 line reel winder for extra line segments that are out of service.

It's finally to my liking. Probably commercial bars are much better.
Paul,
windlord

Postby nanonl » Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:03 am

A new feel welly welly good :lol: with the naiboo bridle setting map using the XLS and changing the 8 by 15, like it's says in the 22m post.

not that the B bridle must be remplace and not extented and the AB6 is facultative.
Video comming soon.
nanonl

Postby rzayan » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:19 pm

Thank you windloard for the detailed description of your bar
from the video I felt that you are pretty comfortable with it & the bar is doing a good job
I bought a 57 cm Best redline bar for the 15m Aurora, didn't try yet
I think as you mention having a separate bar & lines for each kite with a fixed setup is a good idea

I would appreciate if you post a close picture of the bar or just give the bar few seconds in your next video
Thanks again
rzayan

Postby chopper » Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:32 am

Right you lot of nice people,want to get the Aurora range but what bar and lines do i get,going to get the 8,10,12,and 15 really need some advice on this cheers.
chopper

Return to Pansh Aurora